Fish-Flavored Baseball Bat

It's a John Cleese reference.

Sunday, December 09, 2012

Dial S for Sketch: Grasshopper by Nathan Massengill

Inspired by Siskoid's "Dial H" evaluations (in which he looks back at the various one-shot characters from DC's "Dial H for Hero" and considers their chances of making it as actual recurring DC characters), I've started a new sketchbook to collect different artists' interpretations of these "disposable" characters. At today's Atlanta Comic Con, I got the book started with a piece by Nathan Massengill.
Massengill fondly remembered the '80s "Dial H" series, and he picked out a character he recalled from his youth: Vicki Grant's "Grasshopper" identity from Adventure Comics #479.
(Obviously, when I say that he remembered this character, I don't mean to suggest that he drew it from memory...I brought the Adventure Comics run and the Robby Reed-era "Dial H" Showcase book for reference. Still, I was impressed, and a little relieved, that the first artist I approached for this project was one who's familiar with the series.)


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Grasshoppers are intresting

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Siskoid said...

Love the drawing. I think a lot of these heroes would look better with today's sensibilities as opposed to Infantino's somewhat dated art.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger RHBR said...

Hi guys today I ask all of you who access my blog, Tec Planet. And to be a follower of our blog.
Thanks ... tecdoplaneta.blogspot.com

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Steph said...

Great readiing your blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home